Wedding Vow Renewal Service

Sunday, September 7, 2008


Today at church we finished up our Wedding Project Series with a Wedding Vow Renewal Service. At first Bryan and I were a little hesitant thinking that vow renewing was for people who had been married a long time. However, as Shawn spoke this morning I realized that it was simply an opportunity to say "I'm still in it, I'm just as committed today as I was .... years ago". So we decided to go ahead and do it. Bryan loved every minute of it, and while I enjoyed the personal significance part I laughed, turned bright red, and hated that people were watching us. (At least he was on stage playing in the band during the kiss part or I would have been BRIGHT red!!). During the series we have talked about 5 decisions its important that we make:
1. To Believe (the best about each other and the best about the marriage)
2. To Leave and Cleave (why this the way God designed it)
3. To Love (Ultimately demonstrating Christ love by loving each other the way Christ loves us)
4. To Submit (Choosing what is best for the marriage and again reflecting Christ)
5. To Renew (To renew and remember our commitment to each other and God)Although we weren't all dressed up it was so good to reaffirm to one another our commitment to each other and to our marriage especially after 2 years of "rich or poor, sickness and health" etc. I feel blessed to have such a wonderful husband who has always loved me like Christ does and is quick to forgive and extend grace. However, I love knowing that it can be even better than it already is!

1 comments:

Jodie said...

Wow, how awesome is that. I love that you did it anyway despite being embarassed. (I totally understand) I would love to do something similiar but I know my husband would unfortunately not. :) I just read a friend of mine's blog. She and her husband just celebrated 2 yrs of marriage and actually do a service at home where they take communion, renew their vows and make a new vow each year. How interesting to read the two of y'all's blog back to back. :) What's the Lord trying to say? :)