Risk

Sunday, December 14, 2008

I'm not a gambler. I like decisions that are safe, comfortable, predictable. Although I say and think I trust God, I like my life to be simple enough that I can handle it. Life is and has been good. There has been peace, provision, hope for whats to come, and a simple enjoyment of where we are in life...all risk free. A restlessness has begun to stir in my spirit...not in fear... because of a lack. A lack of risk.


In Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade one "leap of faith" could lead to finding a great treasure and saving his father's life. He must risk his life though. Stepping off the cliff could save his father's life or end both of theirs.

The Lord has been showing me that although my life is good it could be great(not perfect)...but getting there involves risk. It involves risking everything and taking that first step off the cliff with no visible way to get across trusting that He is going to carry me every step of the way.


"The splendor of a human heart which trusts that it is loved gives God more pleasure than Westminster Cathedral, the Sistine Chapel, Beethoven's Ninth Symphony, Van Gogh's Sunflowers, the sight of ten thousand butterflies in flight, or the scent of a million orchids in bloom. Trust is our gift back to God. Unwavering trust is a rare and a precious thing." Brennan Manning, Ruthless Trust

He has brought this passage back to me, gently reminding me of the sweet aroma trust is to Him. He is showing me that sometimes risk is good...it builds our faith and strengthens our courage. I have to take that first step He won't push me. Sometimes He brings us to a place where we have everything to lose and only Him to gain more of. That is exactly where I feel...standing at the edge of the cliff...holding on to everything that keeps my life comfortable...but the minute I let go and walk out, the bridge will appear (cue indiana jones music) and we will walk across together.

0 comments: